Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Updates from May Tour

  • Over 2,000 miles
  • 5 states
  • 1 amazing journey!

My family and I took our May tour to visit family in Indiana and Illinois. Along the way we experienced some incredible moments. On the first night, we stopped for dinner with my mom and her husband, Ron, at Texas Roadhouse in Evansville, Indiana. Outside, my kids were excited to see a duck hanging out by the sidewalk and proceeded to feed him (or her?) peanuts.

What makes a duck hang out at a steakhouse? The same factors that influence many of our own life choices--free food. Sometimes I think the best marketing tool I could use to sell books would be to add a sticker on the cover that reads, "Includes coupon for free pizza!"

My six-year old son, Ben, posing with the infamous Texas Roadhouse duck.

In other news, that Sunday I spoke at First Baptist Church in N. Terre Haute, Indiana, where I attended church during the four years I attended Indiana State. I spoke on "LIFEwords" and explained how the words we use and how our lives reflect those words can do much good or harm, depending on what we say and how we say it. I'll have the podcast up shortly for anyone who wants to hear the whole thing.

The rest of the week included trips to Atwood, Illinois, population 1,300; time with my pastor Tim Brock at White River in Noblesville, Inidana; and lots of stops along the way at little places my kids and wife love.

[On a side note, I also received an email requesting to translate Misquotes
in Misquoting Jesus
into Arabic for Egyptian readers. This little book has sold as an e-book, in Kindle format, and now in foreign translations largely due to the efforts of my pal Fred at Nimble Books. If you've ever wanted to publish on a hot topic, he is the guy to contact.]

Why am I telling you all of this personal stuff? I think it's because I want you to know that even though I'm supposed to be this writer-speaker-expert person, I'd like you to also think of me as a guy who likes to take a vacation with his family and experience life and work as a journey rather than segmented parts of our existence.

I could answer emails and calls on my Q phone (Thank you, Sprint!), occasionally do a little work on my laptop, take pics with my camera or clips on my camcorder, and even preach a sermon, but I also spent a huge portion of my time cuddling my kids, hanging out with grandma, and talking in the minivan with my wife.

And know what...I think God was happy I did.

P.S. For those who are curious, we also found out yesterday that our next baby on the way is a GIRL! I can't wait!

P.S.S. The Contenders Series of small group discussion guides will be available June 15th. Order now via one of the retailers at http://readdb.blogspot.com.

If you ever want an autographed book, just order through www.johnankerberg.org or 1-800-805-3030 and request it. Thanks!

No comments:

Dillon Burroughs's Fan Box

Dillon Burroughs on Facebook

Blog Archive