Thursday, July 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad!

My dad would have been 59 today.

He died in May 2000 due to complications following multiple bouts with cancer. I saw him four days before he passed away. We didn't do much, but we ended our visit with a hug and said "I love you" to one another.

I never spoke to him again.

You never know whether your current conversation with someone will be your last. Make your words count. Say "I love you" a lot.

Hug your kids. And your parents. And your spouse.

These three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Corinthians 13:13).

1 comment:

Martina said...

A few minutes ago I spoke on the answering machine of my friend, living in the USA. I told her, that I love her.

After reading your text concerning your dead father I found them again, these words "I love you". And I realized that in Germany this saying has a complete different meaning than here.

"I love you" can include "I adore you" but not in every situation. A fact which obviously is not clear here in Germany.

By the way: a very good and deep going text. You lost your father a few years ago, with the chance, telling him, that you love him. I hadn't! And I hadn't the possibility putting the "Why"-question to him. So - feel lucky!

Dillon Burroughs's Fan Box

Dillon Burroughs on Facebook

Blog Archive