Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cool Versus Effective

Sometimes cool doesn't get the job done.

For example, I haven't posted an update to my blog since late March. It's considered cool or relevant to regularly update your blog, Facebook, and Twitter a few times per day, complete with pictures and videos and links and mobile shots of behind-the-scenes, exclusive content. I enjoy doing these things. But sometimes...

...well, since my last post, I have nearly disappeared from the Internet.

Why? I finished one book, two study guides (each the length of a short book), wrote some radio scripts, helped write a TV series, gave finals, posted grades, signed up for a mission trip to Haiti, wrote a couple of book proposals, finished the New Testament in Spanish, restarted studying Creole, developed a May Apologetic class, and, more importantly, spent any moments of free time with my wife and kids.

It wasn't as cool as sending mobile updates from my latest conference, but that's what it took to get the job done.

What about you?

In what area of life do you need to stop trying to be cool in order to be more effective?

Reminder: Life is about the Great Commission, not the Great Blog Update (or Facebook, Twitter, or otherwise). I needed to hear this from God recently. Maybe you do, too.

No comments:

Dillon Burroughs's Fan Box

Dillon Burroughs on Facebook

Blog Archive